Gibraltar (again)

The crossing to Gibraltar was pretty nasty. Wind on the nose, choppy waves, and then the wind died to zero and we had to motor. Not much fun at all.


It did get interesting as we approched though. Ten miles off the coast we saw a bit of mist forming over Gibraltar. As we got closer this mist turned into full on, can’t see the end of the boat, fog. Great! Just what you need coming into one of the worlds busiest ports!

IMG_2435 DSC04609 DSC04613

AIS proved itself once again and we kept as good as lookout as we could. Thankfully once we rounded the coastline the fog cleared (it was rolling out to sea) and we moored up safely.

We had always hoped Gibraltar was going to be a bit of a pitstop type of affair. Head in. Get repairs and upgrades done. Change the tries. And race back out.

Well, turns out, we stalled a little and ended sat in the pit lane waiting for Royal Mail of all things.

Getting parts for boats is a nightmare once you get past the 100 or so things every chandler stocks. If you require a new fuel filter you’re sorted! A new bottle of deck wash? No problem! A replacement electric battery combiner.. “Eh? Nah, don’t stock those mate. Can get you one in 2 weeks.”.


The issue we had coming into Alcudia reared it’s head again leaving Cartageana. The batteries stopped charing from the engine which is bad news as we get ready for the ARC rally where you REALLY need that to function solidly. We’d also been having some issues with our solar panels as well which were supplying less and less current. Add to that the water maker we wanted to get installed and it all added up to a large amount of getting stuff done!

I had (optimistically) hoped it would be a few days of rushing around, fixing and installing, before leisurely cursing down the coast to the Canaries but I quickly realised this was going to take time.

We were recommended a company in Gibraltar called ElectroMed who I got in touch with a few weeks before we arrived. They have been amazing. The difference between having a guy who knows what he’s talking about, and cares about his work, over some of the people we met can make or break a boat.

He looked at the solar and pretty much shuck his head. The connections were rusting, the main cable into the boat had almost melted through. That’ll teach us for trying to go cheap and buy directly from China. :/ Honestly though it was good to get this stuff looked into, it was a silly mistake to go cheap on this stuff and while we haven’t really lost any money (well apart from having to now buy good quality items) a fire on a boat is not a good thing to have.

Tom, the electrician from ElectroMed, worked wonders. He quickly fixed the Radar (software issue). Our AIS Alarm. And a few other small things. The solar and battery combiner though required parts that no one seemed to have local. We ended up buying everything from the UK and getting them shipped.

It’s so frustrating waiting for stuff to post. I kept thinking why didn’t I do this before getting here!? But of course we didn’t know if the combiner, or solar, was a quick fix or a replacement job so there you go.

We did get stuck into installing our water maker though. We went for a relatively low output Katadyn 80E which is a 12volt unit producing around 13-14 litters of pure water from the sea per hour. It’s pretty cool to think our new solar will be able to create very good quality drinking water from the sea via the power of the sun. Stuff like that just makes me smile! It’s not the largest output water maker out there but it doesn’t draw much either so we’ll just run it for a few hours every day or so to keep up with our water usage. Water makers like this so should would out well.


The install went pretty well, there’s a load of space under the rear berth on the 385 which allowed us to install there with good access. We placed the pre-filter (a part that needs cleaning every time you produce water) in the engine compartment where we can get at it easy- plus it’s feed comes from the engine cooler water we tee’ed off of.

DSC04615 DSC04618

Well, we would have done if the tee fitting was the right size for our hoses- yep, you’ve guessed it, another part we needed shipping from the UK.

While we were waiting for Postman Pat we didn’t just laze around. There was still a few items on the ARC safety list we managed to find. Plus we got all our medical supplies from the doctor here (who was also into sailing so really knew his stuff for meds needed off-shore) and jabs for this and that. We also did the mother of all provisioning shops from the local Morrison’s. Was good seeing UK brands we knew again and Helen now has enough teabags to last her well into 2025.


It’s good to get all those old to-do items ticked off but time just keeps slipping away from us. We’re now eating into the time we hoped we could spend in Morocco. However we never wanted to leave Gib before the boat was pretty much READY. We’re almost there. We could start the ARC rally tomorrow if we wanted to now everything’s been installed and checked twice. Interlude has never been so well equipped or ready to do this crossing so we can’t moan too much.

It was also good to relax a little and Gib’s good for that. We had some good nights out, some great food and got to catch up with David, Anne and Cam who we met a few weeks before and finally caught us back up.

IMG_2446 IMG_2468

It was always our intention to get to Las Palmas pretty much ready to go. We didn’t want a mad rush in the days leading up to the start. We want use that time to relax, to meet and socialise with all the nutters sailors doing this crazy 2800 mile crossing. I hope a bit of frustration now will pay off on the 23rd of Nov when we head out to sea for three weeks.

One thought on “Gibraltar (again)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *